08 May 2007

Where was I?

My husband and I were watching Pretty in Pink this weekend and commenting on the fact that the clothes in the 80's were soooo bad. Wow. When that fashion phase rolls around again, I hope I have the good sense not to join in. But they always sneak that stuff in, little by little, until suddenly everyone looks awful. Anyway, this is not the point of my post.

First, I don't know why I did not see this movie when it came out. Nor can I say that I saw it before my college years. I'm pretty certain of this since, as I was watching, I felt like I really missed out on a great opportunity for not having seen this before my senior year in high school. I was in a very similar situation, see. And had I seen this movie, I would have admired Molly's character for being brave enough to say, "Screw 'em all!" and attend prom solo. But instead, I accepted a date with someone I didn't really know or particularly care for and ended up having a terrible time at prom. I was home by 12:30 am when, for the first time in my life, my curfew was something much much much later. Poop.

Just a couple of quick comments to clarify, though. I was not passed up for the "ideal" prom date because of class warfare. I believe the reasoning had more to do with the different circles of people that we ran with - his being more of the party-popular rather than the smart, a-little-less-popular-but-still-really-cool group - and he (or maybe his friends) were concerned they wouldn't have as much fun with an "outsider". I was also not known for being the most outgoing, or going-out, type of person either, so I can't say I completely blame them/him. Still, there's a tiny scar.**

Also, I would not have been bold enough to concoct that "totally rad" prom dress from the scraps of others. Never mind that I have no sewing skills. That was pretty bold. Which brings me to my next question (or is it my first?): was that dress awesome when the movie came out? I clearly didn't see it at the height of it's popularity, so I don't recall what fashion was like then (except bad - but we've had that discussion already). And I've always wondered if it was as kick-ass as it's supposed to seem.

The other realization I had, thanks to my husband, was that Ducky is the guy from Two-and-a-Half Men. Apparently those 80's actors age like fine wine. They just had to lay low for 20 years and, suddenly, they're all over the place again.

**Let me just say that had he taken the time to really get to know me, he would have found out that I'm a really awesome dork who is a lot of fun to hang out with. I just hadn't been given the chance to come out of my shell yet.

4 comments:

Jillie Bean (AKA Bubba's Sis) said...

Love Ducky. It took me a while to figure out he was the guy on Two-and-a-Half Men, too.

cjm said...

Now, see, that's the part of this post that is so wrong. The guy on Two-and-a-Half men is they guy from Pretty in Pink (not the other way around). I'm not sure where you were. I love all of John Hughes' movies. I think the dress was probably ok back in the day. She had a bit of a kookie style with her regular outfits and I think this dress was along the same lines...80s subculture.

cjm said...

Wow, 42 inches. That's impressive. I also have been meaning to comment on the fact that if you look really quickly when the page is loading (on my computer at least), you can see the baby drop right into the womb up there. Freakier still.

Katie Lady said...

Have to admit that I have never seen this movie. (Hanging my head in shame).