17 February 2009

A Big Slice of Humble Pie...

To start off, a little tip: when filing for unemployment in TX severance pay is not the same as "wages paid instead of advanced notice." You know, in case a friend ever needs to file for unemployment because she's been laid off. Because goodness knows I hope you never have to deal with it. It kinda sucks. Especially when it means you have to find a way to survive on much less than you were before. Though thankfully (and sadly) it's still more than a lot of employed people have to survive on. So, I suppose I shouldn't complain too loudly.

Yeah, so it seems in an inadvertant way, I really did commit the ultimate career limiting move when I had a baby. Not that I was told that's why I was let go. In fact, the only thing I was told was that it was a big layoff and they had to reach pretty far up into the ranks. Bullshit. Once you consider that I was with that company for over eight years and they kept a lot of people who have less than three years of experience in the industry, there's not much else left to assume.

Based on the few people I've talked to since then, the scab who apparently made the decision is really big on overtime, and I hadn't put much of that in over the last couple of years. Nevermind that: 1) I had a miscarriage, a pregnancy, and a baby that required attention; 2) I had a conversation with my boss and we agreed that it was okay for me to keep to 40 hours per week; 3) I put in butt-loads of overtime before that all happened; and 4) I was getting my work done and putting in overtime when I needed to.

So, I'm done. I don't take kindly to a group that throws me to the wayside after eight years of heart and soul. Pbbbbt.

Now, I'm looking for greener pastures. They seem to be very few and far between because this damn credit crunch has my industry all locked up. A stimulus package would be nice. I hope it works quickly.

2 comments:

Katie Lady said...

I'm so sorry to hear that. Good luck on that job hunt.

klm said...

Hey girl! So sorry to read this.

My Dad is still up at the main Stang, but was told it will probably last only for a few more weeks.

Geeeez. This all sucks. I hope you are able to find something soon. Will be thinking about ya!