18 April 2007

There Are No Words...

Someone asked me yesterday if pregnanacy is anything like I'd imagined it. I didn't know how to answer. How could I have know the fascination I would have with this person growing inside of me?

I worry (only slightly) that she will be completely desensitized because every time she presses up against my belly, I press back. I'm constantly rubbing my belly and trying to determine what body part is where. And more evenings than I'd like to admit, my shirt is hiked up over my ever-growing, basketball shaped belly so I can watch the movements and try to spot a foot or fingers or some other teeny appendage.

I know only that I have no idea how this person is going to affect our life. Countless times we have been told that you can know no greater love than that which you have for your child(ren). I don't doubt that. And I've attempted to "prepare" myself for that feeling - as much as any one person can anyway.

It's scary to think how much our life/lives are about to change. I think my husband and I were very happy with our lives the way they were before I got pregnant. And had some greater power not intervened, I don't know if we might have made the conscious decision to change that so soon.

But we are both looking forward to this new adventure. And judging from the past eight months, I think facing this new phase of our life together will be more fun (and more challenging) than anything else we've ever done before.

7 comments:

cjm said...

Very good post. That's all I've got...

Jillie Bean (AKA Bubba's Sis) said...

You are right - there are no words. I say that in a good way. :-)

Editor in Chief said...

Lots more talk about poop. I'm out.

Katie Lady said...

AWWWWW!!!

That got me all teary!

I, too, spent oodles of time staring at my belly and rubbing it and trying to figure out what was where. Except at the end, when I KNEW that his little feets were all up in my ribs, by the constant kicking I was receiving! He's a kicker now, too.

Bubba's right, lots more talk about poo. And you have no idea how much laundry you will start doing.

cjm said...

I think that creepy baby has gotten bigger in just the last week or so.

Jillie Bean (AKA Bubba's Sis) said...

That baby isn't creepy! But yesterday she was head-down and today she's back to head-up - is she doing somersaults in there??

StaceyG said...

Well said. I read somewhere that "parenting is 80% frustration and 20% awesome - but the 20% makes it all worthwhile." I would have to agree. I can't imagine my life without my Punkin, though it has been tough at times.