19 February 2007

What would you do...

...if a female co-worker showed up to work one day with a black eye? I don't know her very well and I don't know that anyone else noticed. I asked what happened and she said, "Nothing."

I feel like I need to say something, but I feel like I'm sticking my nose in someone else's business. I don't know the whole story, but is there ever a good explanation for these things? I did tell our office manager because she knows her a bit better and is the type of person to say something.

As far as I'm concerned, if he does it once, he'll do it again. And if he does it to her, he'll do it to her little girl.

The icing on the cake? He's a cop.

3 comments:

Jillie Bean (AKA Bubba's Sis) said...

I think you did the right thing by telling the office manager. Hopefully she can help...

I've been in an abusive relationship - had my jaw broken from a punch to the face - of course I lied about it and said I fell in the tub, but I suspect there were people I know who KNEW what happened and did nothing. I wish they had..

P.S. I am DEFINITELY no longer in that relationship!! Said "buh-bye" to him 15 years ago!

Katie Lady said...

I think you did the right thing, too. Don't know what I would have done in a similar circumstance, that's just crazy. But you're right about doing again, and to their daughter. Yikes, that is really scary.

cjm said...

Of course he's a cop. I'm sure there are lots of lovely ones but it also seemed to be overly represented as an occupation of abusers when I worked at the women's center. One woman had to flea thousands of miles because who know the "secret" location of shelters? Cops. And who stalked her there? Yeah... I think you did the right thing. These situations are difficult and while it may be easy to think she should leave, you just can't be sure what he may have threatened her with, etc.