28 August 2006

This, That, and the Other Thing...

First, a new quote:

"Jim Morris, I'm a Texas woman, which means I don't need the help of a man to keep things running."

-The Rookie (2002)

I don't really have much to say about that, because it says it all.

Okay, I was perusing my Texas Highways magazine last week and discovered something most other Texans probably already knew: the corn dog was invented at the Dallas State Fair. How cool is that? Super. I love corn dogs, I guess that would be one of my vices. I can remember shopping Memorial City Mall with my mom when I was little and getting a corn dog and lemonade from the stand. Yum.

Bubba's Sis, I think you should add this to your list of things that disturb you. I know this is sorta' old news, but the I first heard it this weekend when my husband told me. I think what that coach did was a terrible thing. I understand that he did what he needed to so his team could win. But at what cost? And to what end?

What I don't know about baseball could fill a book. But I understand there is strategy involved when a team decides to walk a particularly good hitter to get to one that's not so good. However, I think under most of those circumstances that you are targeting a certain player's athletic abilities (or lack thereof). And the player who is targeted can usually be diplomatic about the strategy. What happened to Romney was targeting something he had no control over and would undoubtedly cause emotional distress. As a result both teams will suffer. Shame on you and your assistants, Bob Farley.

Finally, tomorrow shall prove to be an interesting day for me. Not only is it my birthday, it is our "Position Bowling" night with our league. Basically, we are bowling off for our final placement. We had a good run this season. Spent five or six weeks in or tied for the #1 spot. I think that's pretty nifty.

A couple of weeks ago, Tim and I missed league nite and our team was unable to fill both of our spots. The one player they brought in was actually listed on the roster for the other team my company has sponsored. Apparently that was a no-no although he had not bowled all season (and it was one of our shareholders). Though our team took 3 of 4 games, the other team filed a protest saying we had an illegal bowler. Clearly, the only reason they protested was because we were one of the few things standing between them and a #1 spot. Pretty petty.

So, we were forced to forfeit all 4 games which, in combination with a loss of 3 of 4 games last week to a VERY good team, has dropped us out of contention for first place. Oh well. I am not a very competitive person (at least not openly) and I couldn't care less. I just wanna' roll.

The irony of the whole situation is that it is very possible that we will be bowling that same team tomorrow to decide our final standings. So we will be donning our "Kick Ass-Gum Chewing" t-shirts and hoping for the best. I'm hoping for a repeat of my scores last week - 116, 156, 137. All of which are way over my average of 80.

That's all for now....I am still working on my list. Hang in there.

5 comments:

Jillie Bean (AKA Bubba's Sis) said...

First of all, I love love LOVE that quote! One of my all-time favorites (and a good movie, too! Dennis Quaid = yum yum!)

And yes, that baseball story definitely disturbs me! Poor kid! Why put the whole game on his shoulders? Shame on them all, I say. I hope they feel lower than a snake's belly over that one.

And nothing beats a Fletcher's corn dog at the State Fair! More yum yum! One year I lost a tooth while eating a corn dog at the State Fair - we were sitting on the ground by the reflecting pond - I showed it to Bubba's Mom, who thought I found it on the ground and said, "Ew gross! Put that down!" I had had tell her, "It's mine!" That night Big Tex took my tooth from under my pillow and left me a silver dollar.

Editor in Chief said...

A whole silver dollar? Did he steal it from Bubba?

Jillie Bean (AKA Bubba's Sis) said...

That was a Susan B. Anthony dollar and I refuse to comment further on that subject.

Jillie Bean (AKA Bubba's Sis) said...

So how was your birthday?? How was the bowling? Did you chew gum and kick ass?? Do tell!

cjm said...

OMG what a cute pig. And I'm having a hard time waiting for the list...