16 August 2006

The Unexpected Double Header...

radiotim and I went to the Astros game last nite courtesy of my company. Every year they have a company outing to a ball game. Oddly, it always seems to be when we are playing the Cubs and the last two years, it has been Aggie Night. (Also odd that they chose to have a former t-sip pitch on Aggie Night.) We saw a couple of interesting t-shirts; "gig'em Astros" and something about hamburger meat, for example, and numerous t.u. fans in that horrible, offensive-to-the-eyes color of theirs.

Anyway, it was a fairly exciting game...just waaaaaaay too long. ugh. We stayed until almost midnight, the end of the 15th inning. I couldn't take it anymore after that point. Just wanted to be home. Really I felt like the Cubs just needed to give up the game since, from what I'm told, they aren't in contention for any kind of post-season activities. So why not? On the other hand, it would be nice if the 'stros had been able to bring in more of the men they left on base, too. And props to Brad Lidge: I know he's messed up a few times but I can't say I'd do any better with that much pressure either.

Oh, and by the way, I'd think twice about beaning Roger - he gets kinda' pissed and paybacks are hell. That was fun...gig'em

8 comments:

Jillie Bean (AKA Bubba's Sis) said...

I stayed up and watched until the bitter end. I am very tired today. I wish they could have won - at least I'd have some sense of satisfaction in my sleep deprivation today...

Gig 'em!

Editor in Chief said...

Yeah, Bubba was mad they lost the lead, as we went to bed after they went ahead 7 to 6. (East Coast time is a killer.) I wouldn't have stayed up anyway.

And orange is not offense, it is quite nice. I am partial to it, so there.

cjm said...

Lidge got pulled from being the "go to" closer. He's good just not performing as well as last year and has put us in bad positions several times this season. I think he needs some sports psyc attention.

Jillie Bean (AKA Bubba's Sis) said...

Even the fans were booing Lidge last night (I think that's tacky). This just isn't his year...

Tim said...

People will continue to boo as long as the guy continues to mess with their emotions, while getting paid millions of dollars to live his dream. When he came out to pitch the fans rallied behind him, cheering him on with all the support they could muster. The same people who were late to their jobs this morning after continuing to throw their support behind the team for another 2 1/2 hours, hoping and praying for a victory, helping to justify their physical and emotional output.

People look to these games as a way to celebrate something in their meager little lives. A way to feel like a champion, even if only for an evening. When this emotional build-up comes crashing down in one swift moment (or swing of the bat), it's as if the whole world has failed them, again.

Of course, it was not just Lidge. The team as a whole failed, given many chances to succeed. Lidge's moment, though, was one that took the fans from an exreme high, to an extreme low, very quickly.
I feel bad for him. But people will always resent the fact that these guys get paid extremely well, and are expected to play accordingly, while they grind out tough long hours each day, doing something they hate, dreaming of doing something they love (like playing Baseball).

Jillie Bean (AKA Bubba's Sis) said...

It's still tacky to boo your home team. I'm just sayin'.

cjm said...

It's true. Regardless of whatever else, it's tacky to boo the home team. Heck, Astro fans rarely boo the opposing team. Being the closer is a hard position to be in. If everyone else had been doing their job all along (and the planets aligned and we were playing a sucky team), it wouldn't matter if the closer gave up one run. I'm a fan who gets upset during the game and then I move on. We're obviously not having as good of a season but I could live off of being at the World Series last year for a long time. They're still my boys...

Jillie Bean (AKA Bubba's Sis) said...

Me too, cjh! Me too!